Sunday, September 28, 2008

First 10k complete!

Near perfect running conditions! It was probably around 55ish degrees at the start and maybe 65ish at the end. I feel like I did a good job, and not only that but I really felt like I gave it pretty much all I had. I stared out to fast, going with the group you know, my first mile was 10:14, and then they got slower from there. This biggest problem I had was I had to go to the bathroom. I went right before the race, but obviously I had to much coffee or something... the last 3 miles and especially the last mile was torture, I truly was not sure I was going to make it. Every bush I passed I looked at with longing, and had there not been quite a few people around me I so would have used them. Not one bathroom the whole run. Have you ever tried to run with your legs crossed...it's not easy. Explaining why my last mile was 13:35. But my average according to my Garmin, (results will be posted later today) 12:02 with a finish time of 1:13:53! Yea!!! I beat 1:15!! WooHoo!!!

Now the only issues I had (besides that bathroom thing. ) I was getting the goose bumps during the last mileish...why is that...dehydration ? Did it during the triathlon too. I will have to google.. And after the race when I was stretching, my left calf kept wanting to cramp up. Did that the other day too. Hmm...more potassium?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Great job!! I get the goose bumps thing sometimes after a tough workout. Be interesting what you find out. Yeah, I hear more potassium can help with cramps. I try to eat a banana a day. Great race!!!!

Stef0115 said...

Congratulations on your first 10k! And also on meeting your goal. That is a great accomplishment.

Sara said...

Great great job!! You should be so proud of yourself!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tea said...

Hey congrats on the race!!

First, goosebumps...yes, dehydration. Also, cramping is due to missing out on electrolytes. (Sorry if you already know this).

For a 10k, you should take in your nutrition a couple of hours before the race. Then, right before running swig down about 8 oz of gatorade or nuun or some type of sports drink. If you are a heavy sweater (like me), you could benefit from salt tablets. Normally, those are used in high heat and/or humidity and long races. However, I need them just because I sweat so much and lose much needed electrolytes.

If you have any questions, email me at teriziatea@gmail.com. I have an MS in Exercise Science and probably help with some of your questions.