Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thursday Three--- Hill YEA!

1. This has been the week of hills. I rode this past weekend with Kathleen again, as she continues to train for IMAZ. We spent the first 2 hours just riding around Chatfield Reservoir. And then we decided to climb up Deer Creek Canyon




Over 2000' climbed much of it in one 5 mile stretch. It just kept going up and up. Unlike other climbs I've done it never seemed to have those stretches that leveled out it just kept going up! I finally gave up and told Kathleen I was going to have to turn around, we really had no idea where we were headed nor did we have a destination in mind, so we headed back down and froze! The weather has taken a turn toward fall in the last week. We then finished up the 4 hours on a little flatter ground and finished the ride with 50 miles. We will go back and try to go farther up.

2. I'm going to start to incorporated some more hill work in my runs too. As I've mentioned I'm a little nervous about the Rugged Maniac coming up. The run sounds like it will be very hilly (as if the obstacles won't be enough!) So this was my 4 mile run yesterday.




This is my neighborhood. Plenty of hills to run. It went amazingly well. Not fast but steady. I ran the whole thing without having to walk any of the hills. I've learned the key is to not look up to the top of the hill, only look a few feet in front of you and you can't really tell you are going up hill. :)

3. I want to wish lots of luck to those of you racing this weekend, especially those of you out there riding the hills at the Harvest Moon long course! I had hoped to make it out to cheer you on but I don't think it's going to happen, but I will be thinking of you!

8 comments:

Christi said...

Hill training was my mantra for the year. I think I did a pretty good job of it but I am going to carry it over to next year as well.

Unknown said...

One of my running friends always says "hills are your training partner". Yep, they're the training partner that gives you a good kick in the @ss sometimes. ;)

Nice job!

adena said...

I hate big hills!! I love the rollers we have near me, not long enough uphill to kill you, lots of fun downhill recovery. Is the Rugged Maniac antyhing like a Tough Mudder? I'm doing one of those in 2013.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Hills suck, who ever said they were good for you is not of this world

Jill said...

Hhahaha...reading BDD's comment. Don't listen to him, hills are good for you!! Unless, you're on hill #45,951 of the Denver Century!!!

Junk Food Runner said...

Great job on the hill training! I never run hills, and then they always show up in my races. I should probably work on that...

Terzah said...

I LOVE hills (except when I'm actually on them and someone (me) expects me to go fast). I love that you and your friend "decided" to ride a canyon. :^)

Michelle said...

You are so brave to ride up a mystery hill, I am *just* starting to get up hills you might not even call a "hill" so I am doubly in awe :)