Thursday, September 29, 2011

Three thing Thursday- Muffins, Skirts and plans




1. Oh no it’s happening! You know that thing that happens when your training is cut back but your eating doesn’t? Yep the pounds are starting to creep on. Every day it seems my jeans are a little snugger, is that a word? This morning found me doing that little dance to get them on. The muffin top is not my friend. It won’t be long before I’m digging for bigger jeans in the bottom of the drawer. Something must be done and it must be done now. So first things first the decision on how to track what I’m eating. There are tons of different places to count calories. I’ve decided to use Calorie Count. They all work pretty much the same. One of the fun things about this site is that you can paste your recipes into it and it will figure the calorie count. It also grades different foods and lets you know what nutrients you are short on and what you are eating too much of. While I only pay limited attention to this it is kind of fun to see. So PLEASE tell me I’m not the only one that has this problem. Are you lucky enough to have your appetite adjust to your lack of exercise? How do you get back in the swing of watching what you eat and stopping yourself from the snacking that has become a part of your life?

2. This weekend is the Skirt Chaser 5k! I’m excited about this. It is going to be so great to see all of these women cross the finish line many of them for the first time. I can’t wait! It also sounds like the band that is playing after the race will be lots of fun. “That Eighties Band” I love me some 80’s music! So who’s going to be there? Anyone? I know that Beth from SUAR will be out there, several other people have said they might run also. By the way if you haven't seen Beth modeling some of the Skirt Sports clothes (go check out the Deal of the Day sales this week too!) make sure you see it! It’s going to be toasty out there Saturday as the temps are suppose to be in the 80’s and the race starts at 3 but that will make the beer taste just that much better right?

3. So let’s talk training plans... where does yours come from? Do you have a coach? Do you make up your own, or do you use one from some other source? This year I used a training plan from Beginner Triathlete for my 70.3 and for the ½ marathon I’m training for now (and in the past) I’m following a plan from the Smart Coach over at Runners World. Both of these have been pretty good I think. I really like the plans from Smart Coach. They incorporate your paces, include speed work and give you an estimated finish time for you race. So far they have been very close on all my races. If this one works as well I hope to get under 2:30 for my ½ marathon in November, which I understand is not all that fast but considering my first one was just barley under 3 hours it’s making progress and actually when I look at the pace it seems a little unreachable but I'm going to give it all I got.

9 comments:

adena said...

We are in the same headspace! I track daily calorie intake at DailyBurn, it cost me $$ but it has an iPhone app and that is one of my biggest hurdles, portability.

And then there is my spreadsheet. I have a deficit tab on it, you put in your daily calories (from what I entered in DailyBurn), your calories burned (from my Garmin), BMR and it will project your weightloss. I find it motivating because if I want to eat badly or skip a workout I can immediately the potential weight gain associated with my bad behaviour.

I couldn't get used to using a site to plan and record workouts, I tried a bunch, so I am back to paper and pen, WITH my spreadsheet. It has month by month view so I can print each month and post it on my fridge at home and at my desk. All the workouts are planned by my coach but this gives me a total year view. It helps me alot to see where I am going and where I need to be. She puts in the planned work and then I add in actuals as I complete each one. I'm such a nerd!!!!

Have a great race this weekend!

Christi said...

Have fun at the skirt chaser. That sounds like a very fun race.

Jill said...

Well, you my issues with weight when I wasn't running....I think I may have mentioned it a time or 500 on our century ride. I tried so many things, but I never stuck with it because I just couldn't get my head in the game. It is starting to come off now that I'm running again but I know I don't eat the right foods, so I have been using dailyplate.com to monitor the carb/protein/fat ratios. Only a guess, but if my fat ratio is hovering in the 40% range, this isn't going to help my weight loss? Grr.

Very excited about your Skirtchaser race this weekend, you are such an inspiration for your runner...and so many of us out here in blogworld. I can't wait to hear how it goes! Looks like a warm afternoon for the race, which always seems to be the case for this one.

I thin those online training programs are great in some aspects, especially when you haven't been in the game for long and just want to know what to do each day. They are generic, of course, but definitely help you as a guideline.

Happy Thursday!! Oh, did we tentatively plan on lunch Sunday? I am so out of it lately....

Joel said...

Awesome site Julie, sorry it took me so long to return the favor. I love what you are doing and what you have done. What an inspiration..

Matthew Smith said...

Wow, you totally blogged about my world on point number one. I dropped 35 pounds this year training and being disciplined, but now they're creeping back on because the eating hasn't slowed down. Maybe I need to count the calories now!

Good luck with the 5k. Those short races are so fun!

Training plans? I looked all over for different plans. They all had good and not so great things about them. I guess ya take some aspects and leave others.

Jennifer said...

You can totally turn this around before you need to dig those bigger pants out of that drawer. Make that food diary your best friend and the results will come!

Diana said...

Yup, I've put back a few lbs....ugh. So easy for it to creep back on and so hard to remove again! Plus all the hormones-I truly blame my entire life on hormones!
I workout okay, but lately it's been unorganized as I haven't had an actual "event" to get ready for...hopefully that all changes in 2012!

Terzah said...

I FEAR the training-step-back weight gain! So far I am avoiding it, and I'm hoping that since I'm going right back into marathon training next week for real I'll avoid it altogether. It's absolutely been a problem in the past.

Which half are you doing again? I forget! I paid for a plan from McMillan Running--it worked great for Top of Utah and so I bought another one for Houston. He writes personalized plans for any distance. Not the cheapest, but worth it to me for this goal!

seo said...

cheap nike nfl jerseys
cheap mlb jerseys