Thursday, September 15, 2011

Three Thing Thursday ...little of this, little of that

Seems three things is all I've got recently!

1. Now that Josh, my oldest son has been working out with the Marine poolies every week he is becoming well versed in different ways to torture a person, or at least his mother. When I mentioned last night that I need to do some strength training he said oh yea and promptly went out to the garage and got things set up. He was even good enough to get my water for me, and then for about 40 minutes he proceeded to kick my butt with jumping jacks, sit ups, pushups (oh god the pushups!) curls, high knees, mountain climbers and I don’t know what else. Every time I would say I can’t, he would yell, ok not quite yell, “yes you can! Do it!” It was a good workout.

2. Zumba! Yes I did Zumba this evening! They were offering a free class so "my racer" and I went. It was kind of fun, but very hard, just as I would figure out a step it would change. I'm not sure if it's something I would want to do again or not. I may give it a try, I have a feeling that after getting to know the moves it could be much more fun.

3. I’ll be volunteering out at a small sprint tri this weekend. The Crescent Moon. I would much rather be racing it but this is the next best thing and I’ll have the chance to cheer on some friends. I’m excited about it. I really do enjoy being able to help out and it was funny when I called, pretty much last minute today, she was so relieved. She told me she was just worrying about what she was going to do. I will be doing packet pick up and then moving over to backup timing in transition. Make sure to say hi if you’re out there!

12 comments:

Matthew Smith said...

That workout sounds like "fun" torture. Nothing like family to make you do something tough!

Junk Food Runner said...

I love Zumba! It took me a few classes to learn the routines and get into it, but now it is one of my favorite workouts.

Diana said...

Bodyweight workouts rock! The hardest, yet most rewarding thing you can do for your body-now to get you to pick up a kettlebell.....

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Sometimes I see them doing Zumba at my gym on the basketball floor below the track and I know there's NO WAY I'm coordinated enough to do that stuff!

A Prelude To... said...

Josh sounds like he's a GREAT trainer! I don't think Zumba and I would be a good fit. I don't have those moves in me.

adena said...

1. OMG that is awesome!!
2. I tried Zumba once, apparently I'm much better in my head than I am in a class. WOW I sucked.
3. I love that you volunteer. :-)

Hey no dinner posts for a while, what cha got cookin these days?

Christi said...

Yay for military workouts!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Thanks for volunteering, I love to hear when people give back to the sport

Jill said...

Julie!!! Where have you been all week?

I will be at the tri in the morning, one of my clients is doing it and my good friend, Tara, too. I didn't realize you'd be there (at CC Park, right?), so text or call me and we'll catch up.

Nice job on the garage bootcamp! :) I wish I had a son who'd make me kick my own butt!

Aimee said...

Ha ha..I love how your son did a strength training boot camp for you! That's so awesome!

I have yet to try Zumba, but my friend loves it!

Jennifer said...

I'm another Zumba fan! I am the least coordinated person on the planet and worried that I'd be a disaster at Zumba, bumping into other people, stepping on other people...The first few classes were really tough but it's gotten easier with every class. My trick is to remember to count to 8 in my head for all the steps. Also found that my balalnce is much better when I pretend that I'm dancing with high heeled shoes on instead of my sneakers. Don't get me wrong, I totally look like I'm exercising rather than dancing, but it's a heck of a lot of fun. Give it another try - it's good for your brain to have to learn something totally different and new!

Love that your son gave you that workout, and love that you volunteered! I volunteered at a 10K last weekend and had a ton of fun.

Terzah said...

I CANNOT dance. Kudos to you for trying. And I hope someday my son will put me through a crazy strength training workout like that.