Saturday, June 25, 2011

Old Stage - 1 Julie - 0

Today was to be a test run on the upcoming Boulder Peak Olympic bike course. I've heard many things about Old Stage as I've said in earlier posts so I really had no idea what to expect. After some of the rides I've had I was feeling pretty confidant but still very nervous. I was also planning on trying out two new things today. First a new pair of tri shorts that I picked up this morning and secondly, riding with no socks. I can use any help I can get speeding up, and if I don't have to put socks on that's bound to give me some time in T1.

I met up with Kathleen and a friend of hers, Lisa, at about 1:00 Kathleen was doing a run before the ride and needed some time after so she told Lisa and I to go ahead and she would catch up. So about 1:30 with temps of just over 80 we headed out to see what all the fuss was about. We started out really easy, Lisa and I chatting and getting to know each other since we had never met. I realized about one mile in that I hadn't started my Garmin. I keep doing that! At about mile 4.5 we hit a spot that is being repaved and is currently a gravel mess, it lasted about 1 mile and then Old Stage hill...
This does not really do it justice. All is well until the last 2/3 of a mile. As you can tell from the title of this post, it didn't go well...I got off and rested..truly I thought my heart was going to burst. My lungs were dying, I was dying....I got back on...I rode a little farther...I gave up...I walked. I think I took these photos on the 2nd stop but may have been the first I really just don't know. I didn't really have to walk that far before I got back on and although it was still a small uphill nothing like we had just come up. IT SUCKED!
Looking up where I still must go, I don't think these pictures truly show just how steep it is... (15% grade)

And back down what I just came up. Once we got through the worst of it went a short distance and came to the waiting area. It was a beautiful view!

Then the real fun began, a fantastic descent, with much riding the breaks, and much beauty. This part of the ride was awesome and I really should have taken some pictures. At about mile 11 Kathleen caught up to us as we were waiting to get across a very busy highway. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful after that one hill the course is really very easy as you can tell from the profile.



A little break in the shade at the bus stop. By now the temps were approaching 90 so it was getting a little warm. I have to say despite getting my ass handed to me on the hill I felt really good, my feet were having no problems being sock-less and my new tri shorts were feeling pretty good too. And seriously after the adjustments my bike guys made..It was like riding a new bike! The brakes fantastic and the shifting, smooth! Woo Hoo!

The question that remains... is it possible to get any better on hills in just 2 weeks or will I just be walking the hill again during the race?

7 comments:

Jill said...

Oh Julie...you will NOT be walking the hill in the race - it's going to be much cooler, the adrenaline of the race is going to pump you up, and you're just going to be just awesome.

Nice ride today...I wish I would have been there enjoying your day :) instead of engaging in 5000 calories of un-need crap.

Gaye said...

Adrenaline goes a looooong way. And in my case, stubbornness helps a lot, too. When I pre-rode last year, I had to stop and rest for the first time EVER on Olde Stage. But I am way too stubborn to stop in a race. I may be riding 2.7 mph, but I will.not.stop. :-P

Michael said...

Wow, that hill looks awful. I absolutely hate hills when biking. I had to do my least favorite hill twice yesterday, and it's nothing compared to that!! I bet you can do it, but if not - there's absolutely NO shame in walking a hill in a race, I see it all the time, and I bet you will see it there too. Just do what you feel like you need to do!

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend you will RIDE up that hill if it kills you bc a race situation is SO much different.

That adrenaline will kick in and UP you go. You will be fine!!!

JohnP said...

Great post - I love it! Nice climb, thats crazy steep!

Dont worry about race day, you will ride it. Ignore the people around you and do your own pace. In a race it is a different feeling.

Dont fret a failed climb. It happens to the best of us at the beginning. Keep at it and in no time you'll climb that whole thing and wonder why you had such a hard time at the beginning. Keep at it!

Having said that - you will not get any stronger in two week's time so dont over-do it. Stick to your training plan, give yourself a small taper and show up fresh to the race.

You will climb it.

adena said...

no doubt you will rock it on race day!! Have I mentioned that I really really really dislike hills? like alot! but then when I'm riding flats I get kinda bored. go figure.

Tea said...

Worry is wasted energy. Focus on what you can do and what you will do. If you believe it, it will happen.

We all believe in you.