Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter and the Virtual Jelly Bean 10k


Wishing all of you a happy Easter! Easter is a little different around here this year. We are not doing the usual family brunch so it feels kind of funny. We are however having dinner to celebrate my son's 17th birthday which is tomorrow. He is being honored tomorrow night at an awards ceremony at the 40th Annual Jefferson Foundation High School Art Exhibition at the Arvada Center.. It features more than 400 works from 23 different Jefferson County High Schools, Josh has been told he has taken 2nd place in his division, as well as having another photo displayed. One of the girls in his class has taken 3rd place and his teacher is having a solo exhibition! This is his award winning photograph! Have I said recently how proud I am of him?

Jelly Bean 10k





So I signed on to do the Jelly Bean Virtual race this week and opted for the 10k distance. I enjoy running on holidays for some reason..I think it makes me feel less guilty about the food I partake in so I had decided to do the race Easter morning. It's a good think I had committed to it too or I would probably have backed out. It's overcast and about 35 degrees this morning. Thankfully though it was dry. My nutrition for the last few days has not been good...ok the last week for sure (see cupcake post)



I can't help myself...I LOVE jelly beans!



I couldn't run without the jelly beans...this actually isn't the first time I've run on Easter and used jelly beans for a boost. :) So I set out and miles 1 and 2 just kind of sucked. Everything felt hard my legs felt heavy. Thinking maybe my legs are tired from the 1:30 bike trainer session yesterday.
1 11m 22s
2 11m 00s
By the start of mile 3 legs felt a little better and I was warming up. Gloves came off and I'm stating to feel better ...a few jelly beans at the 3 mile mark and head up a hill on mile 4
3 11m 13s
4 11m 40s
Going up the hill I start to get tired again...but soon I'm headed downhill and feeling better again. A few more jelly beans at mile 5 and I start to think my time is pretty good and even though this isn't a "real" race I could maybe have my fastest 10k time ever. So hit mile 6 pretty hard I don't even look at my time because I just don't want to know, I just keep going until I see 6.2 miles and I'm pretty much giving it all I got at this point. I really feel like I could not have gone much farther especially at this pace but lucky for me I don't have to I'm done!
5 10m 57s
6 10m 31s
7 02m 04s
Total 6.2 miles 1:08:47 11:05 average! I killed my previous 10k times! (Previous race times were from 1:14 to 1:18) So I'm pretty happy with that, no I'm really happy with that! Thanks so much to Jess at Run with Jess for putting this together. It was fabulous fun and just the kick I needed to get me out there this morning! Now I'm going to have to rethink doing the Boulder Boulder again this year and see if I can get a "real" PR.

10 comments:

Carly said...

Nice work. I like to work out on holidays too. I went for a nice long bike ride today.

Aimee said...

Wow...congrats to your son, that is awesome! Good for him!

Yay for the 10k Jelly Bean run too! You did awesome! Woohoo for the new PR! AND, I love how you ate jelly beans during your run. :)

StephB said...

A PR!!! Way to go, Julie!

Congratulations to your son on his award! : )

Michael said...

First - let me just say that's an amazing photo! You definitely have something to be proud of and so cool he is getting an award. Second, great job on the 10K and a PR!! AWESOME!! I ran the 10K yesterday too....my time was 1:18:18 - good for you!

Junk Food Runner said...

Whoo-hoo! Great job on the 10k PR! And congrats to your son on his award and great photo!

Christi said...

Yay for your son! What a great photograph!

Jelly beans, mmm....

A Prelude To... said...

Congratulations to your son! WOW!! I am always so impressed when people can capture something so amazing in a photograph. It is such a wonderful talent to be able to reach in and touch total strangers hearts and lives with a glimpse in a moment of time that a photo was taken.

Jill said...

I guess jelly beans are magical, eh? Way to go on the PR, that is awesome!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Starburst JellyBeans are the BEST!!!

Congrats to you and your son

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Great job!!! MMMMM, jelly beans ... SUGGGGGARRRRRR!!!