Monday, March 26, 2012

I should have just stayed in bed this year...

Things continue to be a little crazy in my world.  2012 just doesn’t seem to be off to a real great start but I sure hope that’s changing soon! I seem to break most things I touch the last few weeks. From my stove to my car. On the positive side, while still far from close to coming home, mom has had a couple of pretty good days so the more we can string together the better off we will be.

As for week 1 of 70.3 training. Well I wouldn’t say I nailed it but I do feel like I’m back in the routine of training each day. I only missed one day last week, what I didn’t do was get some of the two a days in. So I managed 2 swims – 3 runs and one bike. This week we will work on doubling up a couple of times.

Diet, that too was much improved last week. Not perfect by any means but there was some control there. I actually decided to try to incorporate  some vegetarian days into my diet. I’m not sure why other than that truly I don’t really eat that much meat as it is. I am not ready, and may never be ready to commit to being a vegetarian, I really do like a good hamburger once in awhile, but I thought it would be interesting to see if I miss it. I really didn’t. I went 4 days with no meat and the other 3 I ate at least a little meat. When my older son Josh heard this he threatened to move out if I became a vegetarian....a little bit of an idle threat... especially when he leaves for the Marines in June. I’m going to continue to try for at least 4 meatless days a week. And along that lines I have a really good couscous salad recipe that I made and will try to post later this week, the meat lover son even liked it.

Training for ½ marathon that is coming up on the 15th of April, that’s right... 3 weeks from yesterday...that has not improved much. I managed to make it 6 miles yesterday. They are 6 of the slowest miles I’ve done in.....well a long time. This has the very real potential of being a personal worst, and my worst was already pretty bad. My first ½ was right at 3 hours, yes I’m slow. I had high hopes of being able to get under 2:30 at this one, I was close last year and prior to the ending of my training mid February I was on track to break 2:30 but those 4 weeks with no running have just left me with what seems like no fitness at all.I'll just keep plugging away and even if I have to walk the whole thing I will be out there doing that 1/2. 





14 comments:

brg said...

you are getting back on track - that progress! You know the drill consistency, determination and discipline will get you through that half. You've done it before you can do it again!

Jill said...

All this stress with your mom has definitely put a damper on your training and rightly so. I know I couldn't move hardly when I was going through so much personal stress over the winter....but somehow we make it through these events. I know Platte River won't be the race you hoped it would be, but life happens sometimes and you are getting back and that is what you have to focus on right now. Plus, we'll get to hook up afterwards and have some great post-race conversations...and food :).

Hang in there, girl! If you want to ride this Saturday, let me know - I promise to bring my front wheel! No promises on anything else though! ;)

Colorado Gal said...

I thin you are doing an awesome job considering everything you've been dealing with. Just remember you do all this stuff because you love it, and if it doesn't turn out the way you wanted it to, there will always be other races later!

Take care of yourself :)

Diana said...

Having someone near and dear to you sick can surely take it's toll. You still seem to be getting in some pretty good training sessions....I don't think you have too much to worry about. Sure the year, to you, seems to be off to a shaky start, but at least your Mom is still with you and getting stronger every day. Not everyone has that.
Continued great training!

A Prelude To... said...

Good job, Julie.
You're getting back into the swing of things.

I like what Heather said - "you do this stuff because you love it" - so don't stress yourself out over it. Just go with it ;-)

Terzah said...

I think you are *rocking* considering all you've been through. Don't worry about the half--just focus on your 70.3 and see the half as a fun training run with other people. I wish I could be there to finally meet you, but that will happen too--hopefully also in 2012.

Sugar Magnolia said...

I think you're doing great! I am "considering" doing my first 70.3 and you're one of my inspirations for even thinking about it!

Kathy said...

Just keep pushing and you'll see it through. I am a believer that every run (where we do not injure ourselves) is a good run!!

Anonymous said...

The wind has been stupid this year! Don't get me started!! You are amazing, you will be amazing!!!!!! Each year we are stronger.

sugarmagnolia70 said...

I just signed up for my first 70.3. Thanks for inspiring!

Jennifer said...

What a crazy year you are having! Hope your mom continues to make progress. How is this week for her?

Unknown said...

I used to be a vegetarian. I now eat meat (and like it), but I enjoy having meatless meals regulary.

Aimee said...

Julie, I think you are doing awesome considering all that has been going on in your life!
Yay for trying out more vegetarian meals! :)

Beauty girl said...

nfl jerseys cheap
nba jerseys cheap